Thursday, May 7, 2009

Random career thoughts


I have discussed my career ideas with a doctor who has been a mentor and counsellor to me for a good while, and she thinks that I am on the right path with regards to personality and lifestyle fit with my main plans.

Of course, I have to decide for myself, but it is nice to hear an opinion from somebody who knows me and my weaknesses and strengths fairly well, and who also has a good understanding of the medical specialties and what is required for them.

Ideally it would be nice if everybody had this kind of guidance. Luckily (in Australia) we also have several years in which to decide what we want to do, and it is common to change career paths. I think this is one of the great advantages of medicine - you are all medical doctors, but there is a career path for nearly every personality. :)

3 comments:

deluded said...

so....what path will you going down?

The Girl said...

Anything that is good for the pathologically anxious. :P

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Choosing a medical field is like getting married. There is something out there that is a good fit for every personality.

I ended up in neurology by exclusion. I hated every other rotation I did.

I've been in practice for 10 years, and have to say it's been a good choice for me.