Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Raining


It's raining, it's pouring, I am on my last week of full-time work and my medical school still hasn't got it's act together with enrolments. Great.

After spending five years in full-time employment, it is going to be tough getting used to the way things work at a university. I'm the kind of person who likes putting her paperwork in on time, getting things organised (e.g. my vaccinations, blood tests and first aid certificate were all completed weeks ago) and having things ready early. I need to learn to relax, as I can see that the university I'm going to is going to drive me crazy if I can't let it go.

I'm not sleeping well. I keep having visions of being on holiday in another state, and having to get on my mobile phone and ring around the university to try to get this organised. It took me five phonecalls yesterday to get onto an actual person without being cut off or put through to an answering machine. All of this was supposed to be taken care of last year.

If I were administrating a large group of people and there was a major delay on administrative matters leading up to a firm deadline, I would at least attempt to notify them and keep them in the loop, at the very least with a large e-mail. It would stop the mass of panicked calls I am sure they are getting right now. A little pre-emptive action can save a lot of work and anxiety.

On a brigher note, it's raining, it's pouring and the cats just stood and looked out at the pouring rain through their newly-unlocked cat door this morning, sulking for a good half-an-hour before moving to more comfortable and warm sleeping spots inside. They are so cute when they sulk.

No comments: