Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Whiney Post #99874276


I'm feeling completely unenthusiastic about everything at the moment. I got home in the middle of the day and felt so tired that I just had to have a bit of a nap. I lay down at 1pm and woke up at 5pm! So much for the afternoon of studying I had planned. The dreams I had were much more interesting than the Krebs Cycle, so it wasn't a complete loss.

I think one of the reasons I am finding it tough is that we are focusing so much on the theory behind the human body rather than the illnesses themselves. The human body IS very interesting, but at the moment I am just a little worn-down from constantly feeling like I am behind everybody else. I'm looking forward to getting out into the hospitals again, where I actually feel comfortable.

The best way for me to get through this year is probably going to be focusing on the fact that in second-year everything becomes much more based on pathology, and then after that life becomes almost completely hospital-based. I am really looking forward to it, but am trying to be conscious of enjoying today while I am here.

My back has also been giving me merry hell for sitting down for so many hours each day. I am used to being on my feet all day, and studying is proving to be bad for my waistline, my bank balance AND my back! The only time it feels good is when I am lying down or standing up. I have three alternatives - either I study lying down (which would be a speedy trip to Z-Town) or while I am pacing the room (I would get good arm muscles from my textbooks!), or I go buy some anti-inflammatory cream and learn to sit with better posture!

It feels MUCH better to have gotten that off my chest. Back to my arch-nemesis, Mr Krebs Cycle.

4 comments:

MrHunnybun said...

You have my sympathy....I remember those Citric Acid days and those "why do my textbooks cost five times" as much as everyone elses' and weigh so much.

In a few years you'll only ever need a BNF and how heavy is that :)

The Girl said...

Ah, I can only dream . . . :)

Thanks for the comment.

JR said...

Everybody feels like that in first year, don't worry! It passes faster than you'd think and soon you'll be onto the interesting clinical stuff.

The Girl said...

Thanks. I'm wanting the time to fly but also wanting it to linger, as I don't want to wish my life away. The big 30 is looming far too close for comfort!