Thursday, October 2, 2008

Dear Blog,

Today I went to the dentist and got a filling. It wasn't a big one, just a small amount of tooth-rot (aka "decay") in the groove on the side of one of my molar teeth, and it was more of a preemptive strike at preventing more rot in an area not easily accessed by my toothbrush. I didn't even need anaesthetic as it didn't go in deep enough. Boy, do I feel tough! 
Blog, why are medical students and doctors so bad at looking after our own health, even with all that we know?
I haven't been to the dentist in two years, and was surprised to find out that I have damage from tooth grinding and no longer brush my teeth very well. I didn't even realise that I have issues with tooth grinding. I just bite my cheek a lot, and the grinding happens then. 
Now I am going to be a good little girl and brush my teeth properly again, and am even going to floss - honest!
One brilliant thing is that I have found a lovely local dentist. She is very friendly and gentle, and has some uber-fancy equipment (including digital x-ray) which I found to be very cool. They don't even need to scrape tartar off with that crazy-looking mini-pick any more - she just used a little drill/brush thing, and it didn't hurt at all. However, the sound was like some teeny tiny angle grinders were going crazy in my head. I almost giggled, but was able to restrain myself. I don't usually find dental work particularly amusing, but this was something different. Plus, I was completely chuffed at not having to deal with the tartar pick. I HATE that thing.
Anyway, all is well in the land of teethdom. Can doctors claim repairs for tooth-grinding under occupational expenses? Just a thought.

Cheers,
The Girl with the New Blue Toothbrush.

No comments: