Thursday, January 29, 2009

Psych So Far . . .

has not been the most fun rotation ever. 
I haven't seen any patient interviews, and I have a hard time finding my registrar, haven't even met the consultant yet, and not from lack of trying. The others in my rotation are having the same issues. Next week should be different, I hope.
Thankfully there are plenty of patients who seem happy to talk, and the nursing staff are very friendly and helpful. 
I'm actually a very patient and easy-going person, and know that we will learn a lot more in the coming weeks with the tutorials and education sessions that the university and staff are running, as well as with the time that we will be spending with the patients on our own. I would love to actually see a psychiatrist in action, and I'm looking forward to seeing this in the weeks to come.
I am also well aware of how busy the psychiatrists are, and am very grateful for the time that they have spent talking with us so far. Their main job IS to look after the patients, after all. Fingers crossed that I get to see more of this first-hand soon.
Psychiatry is a very interesting area, and no matter what area I work in, a sound knowledge of how to deal with personality disorders is going to be a valuable life skill. ;)

2 comments:

Mr Ian said...

I'm sorry your psych experience is not going as well as could be. I could use this as an opportunity to bag out on the medics (again) but I save that for Crippen mostly.
If it helps - and if you really want to get some more worthwhile experience - it might seem a bit 'acopic' to do so, but it's not - source out a decent senior nurse (ward manager can usually be discretely helpful) and have a word on the quiet about getting in on some action. They know the unit regime and when to expect what - such as admissions or emergent clinical events.
If you wanted to appear more nonchalant - just tell them you've got 'some competencies to cover' (it's a buzz word that won't get questioned) and need to see X, Y & Z; if they would be so kind to keep you in mind if it occurs.

PD behaviour is easy once you have 'the rule book' ;-)
(Accept no responsibility - but don't be dismissive)

The Girl said...

We have been approaching the nurses from day one (as they are friendly and relaxed and always have a good feel for what is happening in the ward at that moment), but thanks for the suggestion, and it is a good one. ;)
The nurses are excellent and very helpful, and come up with all kinds of suggestions about who is currently in a good mood and would be happy to be interviewed, and are helpful when we are trying to find people. I am keen to watch them interview a patient as well, as the psychiatrists have told us that an experienced psych nurse is also brilliant at interviewing patients.
I think things will get better from here on in, it is just the shock of being on full-time clinical in a busy ward. I actually really enjoy psych.
Thanks for the comment.