Sunday, August 9, 2009

Like the deserts miss the rain . . .

I was lucky enough to spend the first week of rural with my better half, as he was in town for work. We have been together for more than 10 years. This morning I had to drive away from him with a carload of possessions, and it hurt more than anything that I have had to do in a long, long time.
I know that it is only a temporary situation, and that I'll see him again in three weeks. The leaving was the hardest part.
Now I'm by myself in a room in a unit across from a busy industrial train line, and I feel like I have lost a limb. My partner in crime and all things fun is far, far away, and I miss him terribly. 
I know that this might sound horribly melodramatic, after all, three weeks isn't very long, and neither is the four weeks after that. However, I lived most of my childhood going from place to place, being uprooted every year or two, and never seeing my old friends ever again. Sometimes old scars resurface at the most inopportune times. Having to leave Mr TGWTBS standing at the motel, driving away with a car full of my worldly possessions hurt so damn much, and I had to try twice before I could do it. 
Thankfully nowadays we have mobile phones and the internet (bring on Skype, I say!). 
The first day of hospital work is tomorrow. Fingers crossed that it goes well. I need the distraction.

No comments: