Friday, September 11, 2009

Flying home!

I'm flying home for the weekend. It is very exciting.

When I get back here to the rural place, I will have a week and a half and then rural rotation will all be over.

Assuming, of course, that I haven't failed and don't have to repeat the whole thing. God, don't let me have to repeat rural rotation!

All of us last night were joking that we would have to repeat the rotation, and could do it all again, together, all at the same time and here again. As much as we get along, the looks of horror at having to spend this time out here again as students were priceless. :)

The most that I have gotten out of this experience is a perspective on how challenging working rurally can be, and a fairly consistent ability to put in a cannula.

I also got to spend a couple of days with an awesome anaesthetist, who taught me how to put in LMAs, ETTs (i.e. "tube" people) and guided me in a brachial plexus block. I found anaesthetics surprisingly interesting. I'm hoping to spend some more time with the gas people next year - it was very scary, but also awesome at the same time.

Got to go and get ready for the day. I have a 90 minute drive to the airport tonight, then an hour flight home. I can't wait!

Knowing me I'll be extra early for the flight, but that is okay - I have a good book and some things that I can study, so the time should go by quickly.

No comments: