Tuesday, February 6, 2007

My own portable zoo


I am hideously busy at the moment due to the fact that we are covering a bit of microbiology/immunology/completelynewology and I am having to play catch-up. I am finding microbiology hideously interesting, and the more I look at these things the more I wish I had done them as an undergraduate degree. However, had I done these in undergraduate I would have probably gone on to do research and not progressed to becoming a medical student, so you see, things work out as they are meant to be.

Up until now I was wondering how all of the people from a non-science background would be going in the course. This week I am finding out first-hand, as I have covered next-to-none of this week's content previously. Yes, it is incredibly fascinating. However, as I don't know any of it already, I am having to start much of it from scratch.

Thank God I have two years of anatomy under my belt! This week it isn't making a huge difference, but I am grateful for any kind of relief.

I found this article today and felt that it was strangely appropriate. Before now I would have read it and thought that the guy was a few short of a dozen (and then some), but now I can see where he is coming from.

Human skin populated by veritable zoo of bacteria

Yet, as interesting as they are, I now understand why many surgeons seem to be completely OCD.

No comments: