Thursday, October 8, 2009

Addendum

I thought I should add that I was asked not once, but twice the other day what I was going to become after saying that I was a medical student.

After telling him what I was studying, a security guard asked me if I was a nurse and which ward I worked in. I said, "No, I'm a medical student, and I'm on the surgical team." He looked confused and ticked the "nurse" box. It was for a survey that I had to take before being allowed to get into work via a certain entrance, so I couldn't be bothered correcting him - his head may have exploded with the insanity of this topsy-turvy world where they allow females of child-bearing age to attend university and get an ed-u-cay-shun.

I was talking to a patient, and she asked me what I was a student of. I explained that I was a medical student, and am studying medicine. She asked me whether I was going to become a pharmacist or something else. I explained that I was going to become a doctor, and she was okay with that. I think in her case it was probably just a misunderstanding of the education process.

In the past I have been asked many times whether I am going to become a nurse after I have said that I'm a medical student. Now I just explain pleasantly that I'm going to become a doctor, sigh on the inside and move on.

I don't look young. (I'm no longer in my early twenties.) I dress professionally. I wear an ID. Perhaps I should wear a stethoscope more often, but something tells me that this isn't as awesome as you might expect.

MSILF is right - the revolution is far from over.

No comments: