Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Surgery Rotation, Week 3

Surgery is okay. I don't love it, but I find it interesting.

I wonder if this is how the people with whom I did my psych rotation felt about psychiatry?

We did our rotation at a hospital where they have good teaching for psychiatry, so a lot of the students enjoyed it, even though it isn't what they want to do.

I quite like the practical aspects of surgery. My brain works fairly well that way, too. I am just not a surgical person, if that makes sense. I want to be the one in the room talking to them about their depression because they have had chronic physical illness, not the one treating the illness with surgery.

Still, I'm enjoying the reading. I am also really enjoying the specifics. I like zeroing in on an area and concentrating on it. I'm not much of a lover of the general nature of GP or rural rotation. I can understand how other people would enjoy it, but it isn't for me.

I think I would be keener if it weren't so late in the year and I didn't feel so completely exhausted. Rural took it out of me even more, and I have noticed the exact same thing in the others around me.

Bleh. Almost there. I'm just grateful that I get a break at the end of the year. I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

No comments: