Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Now to wait

For three and a half weeks until our provisional offers come out.

At least now I know my odds. It isn't a shoe-in, but it isn't the worst, either.

Fortunately I also have a very unpopular hospital within driving distance of my home as my second preference. I don't quite understand why it is so unpopular, as I have heard good things from people who have been interns there, but I can imagine. It isn't a big centre with a load of support. Their interns work hard and learn a lot. I guess it is in a poor area that is too far to drive from most areas in the big city, so they would have to move closer to an area that they don't like. (I would deal with the long drive, I think. I live on that side of the city.)

One of the problems with our current system is that the government panicked at the doctor undersupply and then gave the universities free reign to increase medical school places and medical schools which they did exponentially, so we are on the lip of a tsunami wave of fresh graduates.

This means that the two largest hospitals in the state will have 95 interns each, another has 85, and smaller places have also increased their intake to help cope with the increase, so that we don't have massive numbers of unemployed interns.

This is good in theory, but what do you do with 95 interns? You put them in education sessions. You double them up on the ward. You put them in radiology, pathology or GP surgeries doing educational work, or the scut work that they are capable of. You send them out to smaller places or private hospitals, which could be good as long as you are getting appropriate work.

This isn't to say that the interns in those big centres aren't going to work hard. They do work, but some of their rotations aren't ideal. On the bright side, they get shiny doctor's facilities to use. Free fancy freshly-ground coffee is a bonus of sorts.

Their experiences will be a little different to the people who get to be based at the smaller hospitals, both metropolitan and semi-rural.

As I am still dreaming of all things psych, and most centres have psych units with registrar positions, I didn't really need to make contacts in the big hospitals, which is a relief. I have applied to a smaller hospital (600 beds) that only takes a few interns and has more residents (PGY2 and above) to deal with the more medically complex rotations (e.g. transplant medicine). It was slightly oversubscribed, so I have to wait to see if I got a place, but the odds are good.

I don't have anything against the larger places, but 95 interns in the one hospital is an immense number. I do better in smaller crowds. Now to wait and get on with life in the meantime.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I only see one thing in this: less call nights. Be happy.