Monday, June 14, 2010

Time, machinations and all that stuff

I have completely switched my preferences around for the intern ballot. I figured that it was fairer on Mr TGWTBS to move somewhere closer to his work while we have the chance to do it (relatively) easily.

The only problem is that this means we have to sell our house. Which means that I have to tidy and unclutter it. REALLY unclutter.

I'm not a hoarder, but we have inherited furniture from his parents when they moved interstate, plus we kept some old cupboards that we had to buy for earlier rentals (which had no built-in wardrobes).

Then there is all of the clutter of 6 years that builds up with time. I really need to get vicious and go through things that we haven't used or don't need any more. A lot of it can be donated or maybe sold, I just have to work out where and who I have to contact.

We have been in this house for 6 years as of October. I started this blog in this house. I started contemplating medicine when we were living here. This is where I studied for gamsat, prepared for interviews, fell apart, pulled it all back together again, and lived a lot. It is amazing to think that so much can happen in such a short space of time.

I get attached to people and places, probably because we moved a lot growing up, so the thought of moving is challenging. However, I may end up with my holy grail in housing: an indoor laundry!!

I have always wanted one, and never had it. The closest we got was in our first unit, which had the laundry in the garage, two stories down from our bedroom. Not fun.

Previously we have been moving from rental to rental, so appearances meant very little. However, now that we have to dress the place up a little to sell it, I have to get my bum into gear.

On the bright side, we may get to upgrade our house a couple of months sooner than expected (or move into a rental in between) and I might actually live somewhere that has a decent asian vegan-friendly restaurant nearby. That would be entirely too brilliant.

It just feels like the right time to move.

2 comments:

Milk and Two Sugars said...

Oh my goodness, what an exciting and discombobulating time. Congratulations on making the decision to do something really big. I wish you all the best in getting all the little and big cogs to come together and work smoothly. There are quite a few amazing people / couples who've moved to my area for exactly the same reasons you're considering - not one has yet said they regret the decision. I'll look forward to reading about it in the coming year.

The Girl said...

Thanks. :)

Things are changing but I'll be writing more soon.