Thursday, March 29, 2007

Add another one on the fire . . .


Barbados Butterfly and her plight have made the papers. The Age has published an article detailing some of what happened. Here are some quotes:

CAT scans, personal thoughts and photos in the blog of surgical registrar Jillian Tomlinson allegedly got her hauled before The Alfred hospital board and suspended for one week. She is expected back at work soon.

Diary contacted Tomlinson, the treasurer of the Victorian Medical Women's Society, and she declined to comment.

Hospital spokeswoman Tracey Ellis declined to elaborate. "It's a matter between the hospital and the staff member," she said.


I hate to say it, but when I graduate, I think that the working environment will be such that blogging will no longer be possible. Call me over-dramatic, but book burning is alive and well.

2 comments:

MedStudentGod (MSG) said...

I agree. I wonder if there are people perusing the medblogs trying to find someone or something that identifies a resident/ attending/ administrator, etc. I want to continue with my blog beyond school, but I honestly wonder how possible that truly will be.

Perhaps turning from school and training to a more personal blog might be possible. There are people who rarely talk about their work and have great blogs to read.

The Girl said...

True. You could probably turn it into a blog about your lifestyle and life outside of medicine, and not mention anything about work.

Still, the temptation would be there to write things that your life. Anonymity can be a difficult thing to maintain, as I know you are well aware.

For me, I don't think it would be worth the risk. (Plus, I am anticipating not having enough time to blog anyway!)